Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Funny how food scents and tastes trigger your memory...


So, while making dinner tonight for my children and my mom, I had a few thoughts and a few questions pop into my mind: Family Recipes...who has them, who uses them, and what are your favorites?

Are there family recipes that anyone has missed because they did not write them down or learn them before your ancestor passed away?

I know I have a few like that...my mom's step mom used to make THE BEST Peanut Butter Fudge and Candied Yams...I wish I had the recipes...sadly, she passed when I was still too young to understand that the recipes were going with her and that no one from my family would have them.

Funny how food and scents trigger such great memories!!!

I remember years ago, when I was still married and my exwife was pregnant with my oldest song, I had a craving for my father's stuffed bell peppers -- something that I could not STAND as a kid!

As I grew up, it seems my taste in food changed. I began wanting more and more of the food I remembered the smells of as a child...I also remembered how to make them from memory and from helping my dad prepare the food as a kid...

How many of you have those family recipes memorized and not written down? Are they part of your genealogy files, some how?

I would love to hear some other people's stories on this!!!!

~ V ~ 




No comments:

Post a Comment