Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Childhood Memories -- recording them before I forget again!

OK, so I have had these childhood memories for a long time, but since I have not been home in many years, many of the details have escaped me. To prevent this from happening further, I wanted to write it all down, somewhere that I can share these memories with time and posterity and some day with my children...

When I was growing up as a kid, my parents and I used to go vacationing in Sebago Maine, at a place called Anderson's Cottages. It was a great little place, and we would stay there for a full week, sometimes two, during the summer.

Anderson's Cottages was located right right next to a little church, who later purchased the property from the owner, tore down the cottages and turned the property into a parking lot.





I took a scree shot of the church, which you can see above. I wish that Google Maps would allow me to read the sign, but such is not the case. We used to walk from here to Nason Beach, which was a small beach with access to Sebago Lake. 



Across the street from here was another cottage rental place called Sebago Lake Cottages (http://www.sebagolakecottages.net/). They were not as nice as the Anderson Cottages, but I would still love to go stay there again. 

We used to take a ride up the road from there and play miniature golf at a place called Steamboat Landing (http://www.steamboatlandingminigolf.com/) two or three times in the week that we stayed there, mostly in the evenings, after dinner or after we got done riding on the Songo River Queen II in Naples Maine (http://www.songoriverqueen.net/about.htm), which we also did quite a few times. 




Going through the channel locks on the extended cruise was just so relaxing and awesome...I remember they had these red hot dogs that were absolutely THE BEST EVER!  

After riding the Songo River Queen, we would invariably take a ride a few towns over, I don't remember where it was or what the name of the place was, but we would take about a 30 minute drive left (when facing the river) and we would wind up at this little penny candy place...we would fill a white paper bag with candy for a dollar! We would get all sorts of bubble gum, candy cigarettes (bubble gum with like flour around it, wrapped with paper; you would blow into it and the "smoke" would puff out, and then you would peel away the paper and then you would eat the bubble gum!), hard white candy sticks, sugar sticks, honey treats, etc...man, that place was great! Then, one year on a rainy day, we took the ride up to the candy store, but it had been sold off and changed into an ice cream parlor! 

What a shame that was...

I showed my two boys these pictures earlier (mind you my two boys are five and six years old as of this writing) and they both had said "We wish we could go with you there", me too guys, me too...

The memories that I had of a great childhood, memories that I would love to share and recreate with my children...something that cannot happen any time soon...*sigh*....

Someday we will move back home and hopefully it will not be when they are too old to appreciate the beauty and simple enjoyment that these places exudes to me....   

My dad probably was thinking the same thing...hehehehe....

When I was a kid, my dad used to take us driving all over creation just to see the covered bridges of Maine...it wasn't my thing as a kid, but I always remembered that I wanted to cross them and to go hiking and that I wanted to see what was on the other side...my dad couldn't do it, since he had heart problems, but it was something that I always remembered wanting to do...maybe some day I could do that with my children, who knows....

I really home and all the magic and wonder it holds from my childhood memories...

Someday, someday....















No comments:

Post a Comment